As many computer users know what a virus is… a computer virus is a program that is like a disease, once it has entered your computer it can cause harm either to a computer system or to a person whose information is on the computer.
There are different types of viruses from simple viruses to very disastrous ones. Trojans, malware, and ransomware to name a few viruses that are very common nowadays.
Viruses spread like wildfire and can damage your computer so badly. Each virus was created with a purpose. Each purpose is different. Some viruses can damage your files. I’m sure you have already encountered an error message “File corrupted”. There are also viruses that will attack your apps, software, or your computer system.
The question now is… How does a computer virus spread? Here are some of the channels where a virus can penetrate your computer system:
- Downloading malicious apps, files, games, etc.
- Email attachments
- Removable hardware such as USB sticks, external hard drives, disc, etc.
- Opening or visiting infected websites
- Unknown pop-ups
- Malicious links
Here are the things you should remember to avoid getting a computer virus:
- Avoid downloading apps from a source that is not a reputable or legitimate site.
- Do not open unknown email attachments.
- Do not click any links you are not familiar with.
- Avoid visiting infected or malicious websites.
- Be mindful of clicking pop-ups or advertisements.
- Regularly scan your computer with antivirus software.
- Run antivirus software every time you are connecting external or removable hardware to your computer.
- Think before you click.
Computer viruses can be found everywhere. A computer virus can be avoided by taking precautionary measures every time you are using your computer. Keep your antivirus software up-to-date to make sure that it will be as effective as it can be and to properly detect a virus before it can penetrate your computer.
For questions and/or inquiries regarding antivirus software, feel free to call us at (412) 853-3708 or email us at [email protected] and we’ll be happy to set up a meeting to discuss the details further.
Jackson Technologies – “Your total outsourced I.T. solution”
“We DO I.T. so you don’t have to”