In our previous article, we have discussed and shared with you how in-demand or popular Social media is… In this article, we will uncover the danger and the possible negative effects of Social media to everyone.
Age requirement in using Social Media
Most social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc., have a minimum age limit is at 13 years old. This is in accordance with the Federal Law, to ban users whose age is under 13 without parental consent. Due to an increasing number of online reports involving children the law has been strengthened under the “Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act.” However, despite this extensive law, there are still children under 13 years of age who sign up or create an account in social media like on Facebook. Though Facebook has its own protection and security measures, these children were able to pass because they lied about their real age. This is the same sentiments that Yahoo! And Google has.
Negative effects of Social Media
Based on many studies, people who are addicted to social media may experience negative effects physically or mentally. Effects such as:
- Social withdrawal – this happens when a person is avoiding social activities that they are supposed to be doing. This may lead to social isolation if not attended immediately.
- Eye strain or eye fatigue – due to long hours of looking or watching on the computer screen or mobile devices. Common symptoms of this are headache, itchy eyes, blurredness, and sore.
- Lack of sleep – due to addiction to social media, a person can be too much engaged to whatever they are doing like watching series of videos, chatting or browsing and not even noticing that it is eating up their time to sleep.
- Anxiety – for a person who is very addicted to social media can develop this kind of disorder – the social media anxiety disorder. This happens when a person is being away from their Facebook or Twitter even just for a few minutes.
- Peer pressure – just like in the real world, peer pressure is very much present in social media. You get to envy people doing the things that you cannot and it pressures you to do the same thing so you won’t get left behind.
The danger awaits in Social Media
Social media is a good place to communicate with others, most especially to those who are miles and miles apart from their friends, family, and loved ones. Social media is also a good place to shop. You can buy things without leaving your home. Due to overwhelming progress and power of social media, bad people are taking advantage of it and the danger awaits us. Some danger that we should be aware of are the following:
- Identity theft
- Exposure to sexual predators
- Privacy invasion
- Different types of scams
With the dangers listed about, we should know how to prevent or avoid them. Take some precautionary actions when using social media. Here are some tips that may help to keep you safe:
- DO NOT disclose confidential information to anyone.
- DO NOT post any personal information online.
- DO NOT share your password,
- Create a strong password.
- DO NOT accept a friend request or online messages from strangers.
- Make sure you are using a legit and accredited website when doing online shopping.
- Boost your network security.
- Install Antivirus software that can detect and block malicious websites.
- For online shoppers: Check the Customer’s Policy and Rights before purchasing.
- For Parents: Do not let your children under 13 years old to create social media accounts.
- For parents who have social media accounts on their mobile phones: Set up your phone where your children can only access kid-friendly apps.
- DO NOT click just any links you will see online unless your 100% sure they are reputable.
- Always remember: THINK BEFORE YOU CLICK!
We hope that this article gives you enough information to keep your distance from social media and to use it wisely. Just like in the saying “Things in Excess Become Their Opposite”, use social media in moderation and always be mindful in everything you do when you’re online.
Should you need assistance in network security – installation of antivirus or network protection, we are more than willing to help. Jackson Technologies offers a variety of packages that will truly help you in securing your network. We can be reached at (412) 853-3708 / info@JCCHelp.com. You may also follow us through our social media pages: